Remember I mentioned the Simply Cook box I received in the post last week? Well I tried out one of the recipes for my birthday dinner yesterday. I’m going to run through my cooking experience and also review the box overall.
Let’s get started!
The chef for the evening:
What’s on the menu?
The box for the recipe included:
- Cajun seasoning
- Red Pepper Paste
- Garlic Oil
The additional ingredients were:
- Chicken breasts
- Sweet potato
- Bacon rashers
- Baby courgettes
- Feta cheese
Additional information (the ingredients I added/replaced):
- The chicken breasts were replaced with 3 chicken drumsticks
- The bacon rashers were replaced with turkey slices. I was unable to find turkey rashers at my local supermarket.
- Fresh coriander and fresh thyme were added to the marinade
- Green beans and plantain accompanied the dish as sides
- A gravy was made also using; tomatoes, spring onions, tomato ketchup and a dash of gravy granules
Here are some of the ingredients
The chicken was washed in lemon juice, then the hairs were burnt off the skin. I left the skin on; I feel as though chicken soaks up the marinade better with the skin on. I marinated the drumsticks with the Cajun seasoning and placed in a container with fresh coriander and thyme overnight. The next day I washed, peeled and sliced all the vegetables.
The Cooking Method
- I boiled the sweet potato for the recommended time
- In the meantime I fried the chicken in the Garlic oil in a Dutch pot. I fried the turkey rashers in a frying pan, followed by the courgettes and plantain using the remaining garlic oil
- I boiled the green beans and in a separate Dutch pot I fried the tomatoes and spring onions then added ketchup and a few gravy granules
- Once the chicken had finished frying I transferred it into the gravy pot to simmer for a little while
- The sweet potato was drained and mashed. I stirred in the Red pepper paste along with the Turkey slices and courgettes
- I garnished the potato mash with feta cheese
*I forgot to add the feta cheese before taking the photo! Excuse the overcooked plantain slice, it still tasted good!
My simply cook box lived up to its name, it was all pretty simple! It did take a little longer to make due to all the ingredients I added/replaced. The turkey slices I bought worked surprisingly well. The mash was my favourite, it tasted like heaven! I woke up thinking about mashed potato! I underestimated how much each little pot could hold, I’m impressed!
Overall it was simply Devine! My brother sent his compliments to the chef, so it’s fair to say this one is a winner! Until next time Simply Cook!
Tell a friend to tell a friend about Simply Cook! Simplycook.com